Everyone experiences frizz. While some people are more prone to frizzy hair vs. others, it’s an issue that we all deal with. Unfortunately, common styling techniques, such as blow drying and straightening or coloring hair can damage cuticles and lead to frizz. And, the weather, like humid summers or frigid winters, plays a part in causing frizzy hair. Anti-frizz serum or spray helps address these issues.
What Are Anti-Frizz Serums or Sprays?
Anti-frizz serum or spray is designed to combat hair frizz and create a smoother, more manageable appearance. Frizz occurs when the hair cuticle becomes raised, allowing moisture from the air to penetrate the hair shaft, resulting in a rough and unruly texture. Anti-frizz serums and products work by coating the hair shaft and forming a protective barrier that helps seal the cuticle, preventing excess moisture from entering and reducing frizz. In particular, anti-frizz serums and sprays help individuals with naturally curly or wavy hair, as these types of hair are more prone to frizz.
Typically, anti-frizz serums and sprays contain silicone-based ingredients that add a smooth and slippery surface to the hair. This type of hair serum helps smooth the hair cuticle and reduce friction between strands to minimize frizz. Additionally, many anti-frizz serums and products also incorporate nourishing oils, amino acids, or other moisturizing agents to hydrate and strengthen the hair.
Anti-Frizz Serum and Product Benefits
To gain the most benefits of an anti-frizz serum or spray, start by considering your unique hair type, along with any hair needs that might conflict with ingredients often found in anti-frizz serums and products. For example, people with dry hair want to look for a product with moisturizing properties. Conversely, people with fine hair will likely need a lightweight product or spray to help reduce frizz. Once you find the ideal anti-frizz hair serum or product for your hair, you may experience one or more of the following benefits.
- Anti-frizz serums and products add moisture which smooths hair and reduces the potential for frizz.
- By coating the hair cuticles, anti-frizz serums and sprays help prevent hair cuticles from snagging each other and continue with overall smoothing.
- Anti-frizz serums and sprays also assist in guarding hair against humidity, an environmental factor that results in hair swelling and the associated frizz.
- With anti-frizz serums and products, you can define curls and waves and help control flyaways in order to create a sleek and more polished look.
How to Use an Anti-Frizz Serum or Spray
In addition to finding the right product for your type of hair, routine haircuts help with frizz by avoiding split ends. Additionally, how one applies the product impacts its effectiveness as well. Generally, following the recommendations listed below can also help ensure that the anti-frizz serum or product works as intended.
- Apply anti-frizz serum or spray as directed by the product, which better enables it to access the hair cuticles and work effectively.
- Use your fingers or a comb with wider teeth to facilitate the even distribution of the product.
- Show restraint in the amount of product that you use – a small amount will go a long way and the product instructions will include the correct amount to use.
- Style as usual, since using an anti-frizz serum or spray still allows you to achieve your desired look. Consider the addition of a heat protectant spray to further combat damage and associated frizz from using tools like flat irons.
- Add another layer of hair protection with hats or scarves in humid weather. In conjunction with anti-frizz serums and products, this barrier can further help avoid excessive frizz.
Although excessively humid or dry weather conditions will impact the frizz in your hair, anti-frizz serum or spray is a great way to address underlying genetics that may cause frizzy hair and contribute to your overall hair health. To find the one that is best suited for you, it may take some trial and error.