Just thinking about an itchy scalp can make people want to scratch their own. In this case, an itchy scalp may be a temporary concern. However, as many of our community members know, scalp irritation can be a daily struggle that causes both physical and emotional suffering. Although the causes of an itchy, irritated, or dry scalp are numerous, there are many soothing ingredients and hair care adjustments that may help! Here are 8 tips that may reduce scalp itch as well as offer a comprehensive scalp treatment plan to help improve your hair health.
What clean ingredients aid in itchy scalp treatment?
Dandruff is only one factor that makes your scalp itch, and these flakes alone may have multiple causes. Clean ingredients, like those below, are gentler and less likely to cause irritation, which may be especially important for sensitive scalps. Additionally, hair products that use clean ingredients like Divi’s Scalp Serum may actually assist in treating an itchy scalp.
- Peppermint is cooling which can help soothe irritated skin. Its antibacterial properties may also be helpful in addressing certain causes of dry or itchy scalps.
- Tea tree oil is antimicrobial, antifungal, antiparasitic and anti-inflammatory which can make it particularly helpful in addressing a variety of itchy skin culprits.
- Green tea extract helps keep the scalp moisturized and healthy.
- Eucalyptus is anti-inflammatory and an astringent, so it may help reduce inflammation and flakiness while helping to protect the hair follicles and maintain moisture.
Additionally, clean products that use these ingredients may be more likely to be sulfate-free. Many shampoos and other hair products include sulfates to create the lather, which removes dirt, oil and other impurities. However, sulfates may also remove natural oils, make the scalp more susceptible to environmental irritants or exacerbate other sensitivities. These impacts may create or worsen existing itchy scalp conditions. By choosing sulfate-free products infused with ingredients to aid in itchy scalp treatment, the health of your entire hair environment may benefit.
How can I help treat my itchy scalp by adjusting my regular routine?
Many factors that lead to scalp itchiness are beyond our control, such as allergic reactions, hormonal changes, medical conditions and environmental influences. However, making changes in our regular approach to hair care or wellness may provide some relief. The following daily routines may be causing the dryness and irritation that leads to itching. Consider these slight revisions to your current practices that may help address your itchy scalp!
- Too much hair washing removes natural oils and can increase dryness. Instead, reduce your weekly washes to 2-3 times a week.
- We get that sometimes one just needs to put up that high ponytail and handle whatever the day may bring. Unfortunately, tight hairstyles can stress hair follicles and cause scalp irritation. Instead, style with a scrunchie or hair clip!
- Like spending too much time in the sun, hot water can also dry out hair (making it more susceptible to damage), the scalp and the body, which results in that itchy feeling. It may also worsen the desire to itch which stems from conditions like eczema and psoriasis. Instead, use lukewarm temperature or enjoy the benefits of a cold shower, like improved circulation (scalp health booster!) and reduced inflammation (from that last awesome workout!).
- Food choices impact scalp health, just like any other part of your body. To help, consume more scalp superfoods, like eggs and avocado (breakfast burrito anyone?) to help protect and nourish you from head to toe!
In addition to trying out tips and products focused on itchy scalp treatment, talk to your doctor and dermatologist about ongoing hair concerns or increased severity or regularity of itchiness or to gain peace of mind with regard to your hair care routine. They can help identify any additional causes of scalp itch and may be able to provide additional scalp treatment guidance. To enjoy the benefits of the ingredients discussed here that may aid in itchy scalp treatment and many others that contribute to a healthy hair environment, try Divi’s Starter Bundle, which includes our Shampoo, Conditioner and Scalp Serum.