Hair loss and hair thinning are relatively common among men and women, especially as they age. There are a few different types of hair loss, and trying to combat any of them can be a challenge. Male-pattern hair loss, for example, is primarily caused by genetics and hormonal changes that come with aging, and while there are products to help minimize conditions like this, there is no "cure."
We can't control genetics or the effects of aging, but one thing to consider should be your overall health, which means you should take care of your diet, lifestyle and scalp health to minimize the risk of hair loss or uncomfortable symptoms.
Divi's Scalp Serum, Shampoo and Conditioner include blends of clean ingredients developed to remove product buildup and create a friendly environment for your scalp and hair.
This article will explore the benefits of glycine, what it is, and how it can help promote healthy hair.
What is Glycine?
Glycine is a non-essential amino acid essential to the synthesis of glutathione. Glutathione is an antioxidant produced by cells to protect them against free radicals, which can damage DNA, cells, and proteins while causing oxidative stress.
Glycine is also essential to the production of collagen, which helps provide structure to connective tissues, bones, muscles and skin. It is also essential in nerve signal transmission and can help clear toxins.
Glycine is found in foods such as seeds, peanuts, granola, red meat, turkey, and chicken and can also be produced by the human body.
Why is Glycine Important To Hair Growth?
Proteins become amino acids as they break down, which is crucial to the growth and formation of tissues, cells and organs. Glycine stimulates the production of the body's antioxidants, which we’ve listed below.
Glycine is essential to producing glutathione, which helps promote skin and hair health and improves the immune system.
It comprises several amino acids, including glutamic acid, cysteine, and glycine.
Glycine is also present in collagen and is essential to its production. Collagen is needed to form connective tissue. It also helps to protect the body from free radicals, which can damage cells and cause hair loss, organ malfunction, brittle bones and saggy skin.
Glycine is required to produce the right amount of collagen for your body.
The body cannot produce all the antioxidants we need to stay healthy, but many herbs, vegetables and fruit can make up for the deficit. Soybeans, for example, are an excellent source of glycine.
Other benefits of glycine include protecting hair follicles from oxidative stress. Free radical formation causes oxidative stress, resulting in hair follicle miniaturization and problems with hair growth. Glycine is essential to the proteins combatting free radicals. It is often used to stimulate hair growth by promoting keratinization.
Glycine is also vital in hormone and serotonin production, which can help regulate your mood and relieve stress. Glycine can reduce cortisol and improve sleep quality.
Good scalp health is essential to hair growth and can promote the proliferation of epithelial cells.
Glycine Can Help Hair And Scalp Conditions
The following conditions could potentially benefit from the topical application of glycine:
- Itching scalp – Studies show glycine helps cool the scalp, which can help to prevent itching. Oil-controlling properties and its antibacterial effect also benefit the itchy scalp.
- Dry scalp – Glycine's antioxidant properties help improve scalp health. Rejuvenating and moisturizing properties also combat dryness when combined with other beneficial ingredients.
- Dandruff – Glycine can help regulate the skin's acidic rate, which minimizes keratinization of the epidermal cells and helps reduce dandruff.
- Seborrheic dermatitis – Seborrheic dermatitis is a relatively common scalp condition typically associated with oily areas. It can cause dandruff, scaly patches on the scalp, and inflamed skin. Glycine is linked to the inhibition of the key enzyme behind sebum synthesis. Studies show that using glycine to treat seborrheic dermatitis can be beneficial.
- Sensitive scalp – Glycine can minimize the symptoms of a sensitive scalp thanks to its antimicrobial qualities and ability to soothe and cool the scalp.
- Thinning hair – Glycine can promote hair growth by stimulating collagen production.
- Alopecia – Glycine can help with human hair growth due to helping with keratin formation. Keratin smoothes the cells that become hair strands.
- Alopecia areata – Alopecia areata causes the thinning of hair and baldness when the immune system attacks hair follicles. Glycine can help reduce stress hormones and promote balance – an important consideration, as studies show stress inhibits hair growth.
- Telogen effluvium – Telogen effluvium accelerates the hair growth cycle and leads to increased shedding, thinning out hair, and baldness. Glycine is a building block of keratin in the hair follicle and is necessary to promote healthy hair growth patterns.
- Thyroid disease – Glycine is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent that can help boost metabolism, gastrointestinal health and healthy thyroid function. It can also help activate thyroid function. This occurs with or before nutrient and energy intake, and studies show glycine can also help with vitamin and mineral absorption.
Possible Side Effects of Glycine
Side effects associated with glycine are typically related to dietary supplements, meaning anyone using our dermatologically tested Divi products shouldn't be worried about potential side effects. Divi’s Scalp Serum, Shampoo & Conditioner all contain safe and clean ingredients, like glycine, and do not cause adverse effects.
Glycine in Hair Care Products
Divi's Scalp Serum contains a range of high-quality, clean ingredients blended carefully to offer a nourishing product that helps combat hair thinning.
Visit Divi's Scalp Serum product page to learn about more ingredients, including eucalyptus oil, copper tripeptide-1, rosemary leaf extract and green tea leaf extract. Nobody can prevent hair loss entirely, but every carefully formulated product we offer has a growth-promoting effect and cultivates a better environment by improving your scalp’s health.
Divi's scalp care products are an excellent option for people concerned about hair loss.
Hair follicle growth controls the ability someone has to enjoy a full head of hair. Hair thinning and hair loss is natural, but there are ways to improve scalp and hair health.
A high-quality shampoo, conditioner, and topical scalp serum with a hair growth-promoting effect can delay the natural hair growth cycle, treat skin conditions, and positively affect female- and male-pattern baldness. Divi’s Scalp Serum, Shampoo & Conditioner all check these boxes.
Glycine is an ingredient with beneficial properties and is used in conjunction with a range of other ingredients in Divi products to stimulate hair growth. Divi's products are effective and safe—offering a solution that promotes hair growth and nourishes the scalp.