Hair care concerns, like dry scalp or thinning hair, can often have many different causes and just as many solutions, from natural remedies to prescription medications. Those solutions may target treating a condition, aiding in symptom relief or helping to prevent issues by supporting a healthy environment for hair and body. For individuals experiencing thinning hair or any other wellness concerns, a holistic approach to your health through self-care may be one solution.
4 Self-Care Considerations in Exploring Solutions for Thinning Hair, Dry Scalp and More
For your hair, mind or any other part of your being to thrive, treat it accordingly with intentional care and compassion. Below, you’ll find some ways to take care of yourself that may help reduce the likelihood of thinning hair or other hair concerns and promote holistic wellness. None of the recommendations below will cure hair conditions, be the solution to an emotional struggle or remedy any daily stress that you may encounter. However, they help ensure that you can be in a more caring and nourishing place when these concerns and others arise.
- Socrates said that to “know thyself is the beginning of wisdom.” Although hair and scalp health or self-care may not have been his inspiration, his words really do apply!
- Journaling offers a number of mental health benefits, including creating awareness, helping to regulate stress and emotions and potentially even supporting physical healing. It can also be a way to support solutions to any hair concerns by providing a way to keep track of the complete experiences in which hair thinning is recognized or other scalp issues arise.
- In caring for your hair, understanding your natural hair type provides multiple insights into everything from cleaning to styling to potential areas of concern.
- Self-awareness can be further supported by mindfulness practices. This self-care solution helps lower stress levels, which is important because stress may contribute to hair thinning and hair loss.
- Try a walking meditation. Designate a short distance (perhaps 15-30 feet) and walk back and forth in this space while focusing your attention on the ground. Try this practice for 15 minutes. Then, look up and reflect on how much more you may notice about yourself or the world around you!
- Set aside time for an aromatherapy experience. Choose a calming essential oil to use as part of a relaxing bath or breathing practice.
- Exercise the body in addition to the mind. The holistic benefits of many different types of exercises are often celebrated, and most healthcare professionals are typically ecstatic when any exercise is being done in an appropriate and consistent fashion! As a self-care solution, these exercises may also offer hair benefits.
- Cardiovascular exercise, like a brisk walk or bike ride, is known to increase blood flow throughout the body, which means it promotes circulation in the scalp as well. This circulation is essential for ensuring that the necessary nutrients for healthy hair are available.
- Whether dancing to your favorite artist or taking part in the pickleball trend, exercise also aids in regulating hormone levels and inflammation reduction. Consequently, these self-care solutions may aid against hair thinning by maintaining hormone balance and supporting hair follicles through strengthening the immune system and lessening inflammation.
- More and more research is being done into the body-mind connection, specifically between the food consumed and the stress experienced. Therefore, balanced nutrition is essential to self-care and an impactful contributor to hair and scalp health, as well as one’s physical, mental and emotional wellness.
- Nourishing foods with vitamins that support a healthy environment for hair growth also promote overall well-being. Try a walnut and mushroom filling for your next taco night! Walnuts provide biotin, which may contribute to hair thickness and existing growth. Mushrooms offer vitamin D and may aid against hair thinning and hair loss.
- Since the food one consumes helps provide the body with the nutrients it needs to thrive, having your vitamin levels evaluated is another way to ensure that there are no excesses or deficiencies that may be causing hair thinning or even hair loss. Findings may reveal that a vitamin supplement is needed to better support one’s overall well-being.