The Science Behind Rosemary Leaf Extract Benefits for Treating Hair Loss
Rosemary leaf extract for hair is commonly used to stimulate hair growth and treat male and female pattern hair loss due to its ability to heal tissue and nerve damage.
The scientific team at Divi includes rosemary leaf extract – scientifically called Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract, derived from rosemary plant leaves – as one of the main ingredients in our Scalp Serum, as it improves circulation to the scalp and can promote hair growth.
Read on to learn more about the science behind rosemary leaf extract and how it can be used for the treatment of hair loss conditions like androgenetic alopecia.
Do Studies Support Rosemary Leaf Extract as a Treatment for Hair Loss?
Some scientific evidence indicates that rosemary leaf extract can benefit nerve tissue in the scalp. Here are a few independent studies showing the benefits of rosemary leaf extract as a potential hair loss treatment:
- One study determined that the active ingredient in rosemary, called carnosic acid, can heal tissue and repair nerve damage. This property means it can repair scalp nerves, which could result in increased hair growth. Other studies specifically used rosemary oil and leaf extract to combat hair loss.
- A study published in Skinmed in 2015 compared rosemary oil with a commercial drug called minoxidil to assess the ability to treat male and female pattern baldness and androgenetic alopecia. The research results indicate that rosemary was just as effective as minoxidil as a hair loss treatment and helped to soothe an itchy scalp more than the commercial drug.
- An article published in Phytotherapy Research in 2013 investigated how rosemary leaf extract could be used to stimulate hair growth. The study, which used mice as test subjects, found rosemary leaf extract stimulated hair growth in testosterone-related hair loss. Clinical reviews have also assessed the effectiveness of rosemary in promoting hair regrowth.
- A 2010 review found that essential oils, including rosemary essential oil, can stimulate regrowth in people with alopecia.
- A second review from 2011 described rosemary oil as a therapeutic treatment for hair loss because it improves blood circulation.
Therefore, science backs the idea that rosemary leaf extract stimulates hair growth in people suffering from hair loss.
Can Rosemary Leaf Extract Benefit Your Hair and Scalp?
Rosemary has some primary health benefits, which can be applied to the hair and scalp healing process. The benefits of rosemary leaf extract are:
- Fighting inflammatory cells through its anti-inflammatory properties
- Promoting the growth and regeneration of nerves
- Improving blood flow and circulation
By improving circulation, more blood is carried to the hair follicles, which can prevent follicles from dying, one cause of hair loss.
Rosemary leaf extract has also been used to prevent gray hair and eliminate dandruff.
Apart from assisting with complete hair regrowth, rosemary leaf extract can soothe an itchy scalp without needing artificial ingredients.
Effects of Topical Rosemary Leaf Extract Application on the Scalp
Divi's Scalp Serum contains rosemary leaf extract as a key ingredient. This Serum can be applied to the hair and scalp daily and left on the scalp overnight. All you need is to apply 3/4 of a dropper to your scalp, focusing on the areas you feel could benefit the most. Then sit back and wait for it to take effect.
Alternatively, rosemary leaf extract can be mixed into Divi’s Shampoo & Conditioner. Stick to a ratio of five drops or less per ounce of Divi’s Shampoo & Divi’s Conditioner. Alternatively, you can add two or three drops to your hand when you are using these Divi products.
By using rosemary leaf extract topically, you will be able to stimulate hair growth by ensuring you have a healthy scalp environment.
What Symptoms Can Rosemary Leaf Extract Treat?
Rosemary leaf extract can help with the following hair loss or irritation-related symptoms and conditions:
- Scalp itching or dry scalp: The anti-inflammatory properties of rosemary leaf extract can reduce itching and soothe a dry scalp.
- Dandruff: Dandruff occurs due to the presence of a fungus. Rosemary leaf extract has antimicrobial properties, which could help eliminate this fungus.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: Rosemary leaf extract helps fight the inflammatory process that causes this condition.
- Folliculitis: Rosemary has antifungal properties which may treat this condition.
- Psoriasis and eczema: Rosemary is a natural antiseptic that can get rid of irritants on the skin. It also serves as an antioxidant that can treat the redness and irritation caused by psoriasis and irritant contact dermatitis.
- Thinning hair and baldness: Based on scientific studies, rosemary leaf extract can promote hair growth and reduce hair thinning.
- Alopecia areata: Rosemary can stimulate hair regrowth.
Is Rosemary Leaf Extract Safe for the Scalp?
Although rosemary leaf extract has the potential to irritate the skin when too much is applied, Divi’s scientific team uses the perfect quantities of a rosemary oil solution to prevent this side effect from occurring.
Dermatologists have also approved Divi's Scalp Serum and other products so that you can use the products confidently without the fear of irritation.
Always do a patch test before using new products to check for any irritation. Skin irritation or an allergic reaction will present itself as red, itchy, or stinging skin. If you experience this side effect, stop using the product and consult your doctor.
Does Rosemary Leaf Extract as a Divi Ingredient Treat Hair Loss?
Scientific studies have proven that rosemary leaf extract has the potential to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth.
Although rosemary leaf extract is not a cure for hair loss, the properties found in this Divi’s Scalp Serum ingredient can ensure a healthy scalp, which can reduce the possibility of hair loss.
The beneficial properties of rosemary leaf extract used by Divi include its anti-inflammatory properties, along with the ability to rejuvenate nerves and improve circulation. When combined, these properties create a healthy environment for hair to grow.
Hair Loss and Androgenetic Alopecia Explained
Androgenetic alopecia, commonly called pattern baldness, is common in both males and females. Male pattern baldness follows a defined pattern, starting at the temples and receding in an M-shape. Hair starts to thin at the crown for males and can result in complete or partial baldness.
Female pattern baldness looks slightly different. Women experience hair thinning across the whole head, but there is no receding hairline. It is rare for androgenetic alopecia to result in total baldness for women.
Androgenetic alopecia in men is most often caused by hormones, specifically DHT, which is derived from testosterone. DHT can shrink hair follicles and reduce hair production. Other medical conditions in men that cause androgenetic alopecia include:
- Heart disease
- Problems with the prostate
- Insulin resistance
A hormonal imbalance – such as pregnancy, menopause, or polycystic ovary syndrome – is the most likely cause of androgenetic alopecia in women.
Common Causes of Hair Loss
There are several possible conditions or factors contributing to hair loss in males and females:
- Hair loss can be genetic and hereditary.
- A hormonal imbalance can result in hair loss. This can be due to pregnancy, menopause, polycystic ovary syndrome, or birth control.
- Skin conditions on the scalp – such as dermatitis, eczema, or psoriasis – can contribute to hair loss. Divi's Scalp Serum contains many ingredients that can help combat the symptoms of these conditions.
- An overactive or underactive thyroid can cause hair to fall out.
- An unhealthy diet lacking in copper, zinc, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D can result in hair loss.
- Acute and chronic stress causes hair to fall out.
- Medications can cause hair loss as a side effect.
- Chemical hair products and tight hairstyles can damage follicles, causing hair loss.
All Divi products are approved by dermatologists, are vegan, and are certified cruelty-free. The clean ingredients in Divi products have been tested and scientifically proven to promote scalp health and provide an environment that helps combat hair loss.
Other Divi Ingredients Helping Prevent Hair Loss or Promote Hair Growth
Divi's Scalp Serum has been carefully crafted to help maintain a healthy scalp. It uses clean ingredients with properties that help promote hair growth and tackle hair loss.
Our Scalp Serum has the following ingredients:
- Copper Tripeptide-1: Thickens hair by stimulating the production of collagen
- Peppermint oil: Soothes an inflamed or irritated scalp
- Green tea extract: Prevents the hormones responsible for hair loss
- Tea tree oil: Removes product build-up on the scalp
- Caffeine: Anti-inflammatory and promotes hair growth
- Eucalyptus oil: Reduces inflammation of the scalp
- Menthol: Helps with blood circulation
Please consider Divi’s Scalp Serum or some of our other hair and scalp products to treat your hair loss or prevent future hair loss. Divi’s Scalp Serum includes rosemary leaf extract as a scientifically backed ingredient, which has many benefits for promoting a healthy scalp environment and setting up your hair for growth success.